Monday, October 10, 2005

Saturday Night Mexican Fiesta part 2

OK, Now on to the tacos.

I heard somewhere recently that hard shelled tacos are not native to Mexican Cooking and were actually invented by the guy who opened up Taco Bell. I don't know whether it is true or not, but honestly unless I am eating AT an restaurant I'd rather have soft shell tacos anyway.

Saturday however I tried something new, and think its my new way to eat tacos. We bought some corn tortillas and used them for the tacos. Here is how it works.

Take your skillet (cast iron right?) and get it heating up, medium heat.

Lightly (I do mean lightly) butter one side of the tortilla.

Drop it butter side down on the skillet.

Wait 5 seconds and flip it. Wait another 30 and flip it back. See that nice brown color?

When you start seeing air bubbles add your filling on ½ of the tortilla. Fold.

Move over to the side of the skillet and start a new one.

When the cheese looks all melty and you can't stand it any longer take it off and eat it! (you're the cook, you're allowed to do that)


Fillings:

  • Shredded Organic cheese (I like Monterey Jack or Cheddar)
  • Ground beef/bison/turkey (brown, drain the fat, add seasonings, a bit of tomato paste)
  • Salsa
  • Guacamole
  • Lettuce? Nonono Add something with a bit more oomph .. fresh spinach, Kale, heck even “Spring Mix” will do.

Dave

No comments: